Wednesday, April 9, 2008

Eve teasing

If I were a guy, this is one thing I will never do to anyone alive. I have come across this terrible act of eve-teasing several times after I lived in Bangalore. Some were not so bad but some of them were too bad, thinking about it makes me wanna hit any guy I see right now.

I just googled the term "Eve-teasing" and this is what I saw
1) wikipedia
2) google definition

I am surprised to see mentioning only India and Pakistan. Anyways it is India, I will talking about so it sounds perfect to me.

As far as I know, I am a girl who always get dressed decently wherever I may go. This is one reason why Mizo guys do not find me appealing (Kidding!!!). No matter how unexposing outfit I wear, if I walked alone, atleast in a day one guy always teased me. They even do that when I wear salwar also. There are times I just normally ignored them, but sometimes I even fought with them physically. The matter here is, its not just about being teased by Vai guys but the humiliating feelings which I always have and there is nothing much I can do about it.

I used to think I can do something about it, or atleast there will be someone who will make me feel better. But there is none. Here is an incident:

Today as I got down from the local bus on my way home, I walked in a footpath where many people were passing by. There was a guy who came very close to me and whispered, "Hello, sexy baby.. MMuuaahhh!!!". My boy friend doesn't even talked to me like that. I just stopped for a moment and turned around, thinking how to react. He was waiting near the roadside for the red light so that he can crossed the road. I went straight to him and asked "Do you know me?". He said "No!". "Then why did you speak to me and said such things?" I asked. He was like pretending as if he did not know what is going on. I was getting angry and said "I am just a normal girl who can feel the pain like anyone else. And I am not like what you think..." I was pointing finger on him now. A cop came and asked what is going on. I told him but he was only listening to the other guy who was talking to him in local language. I looked straight into the policaman's eyes to show that I am right and I am not afraid. He instead told me to shooo away. I felt my heart cracking as I saw the injustice act done to me. What an unfair world!!

I looked down myself till my toe. My dress was decent enough to even face Holy Lamb. Then what was wrong. It was defintely not from my side. I felt worse when I saw that guy showing me his middle finger across the road.

I am not sure if I will regret for not creating a scene and let people know even we girls have our dignity and we are made in this world not just to be a sex object for guys. The beauty and uniqueness of a woman is not that to attract guys, it is to show how creative our Master designer is.

10 comments:

benjamin rualthanzauva said...

If only I was there, around!

sawmpuia said...

kanada zir teh hauh nan

Muana Khuptong said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Muana Khuptong said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Jinx said...

Kudos for standing up for your dignity and right. I know it's not easy to have the guts to confront such kind of people for the same reason where the victim doesn't get justice, especially when one's in another city.

If other women were around and heard your side of the story, I wonder if things would have turned out differently.In 'vairampur' I think it's important to 'out-talk' the culprit. Because once they start explaining themselves in their native tongue, they mostly get away....grrrr!

Hmai said...

Sad.. and i used to think Bangalore is one of the better places. You must come stay in Delhi for a while to experience the real mean eve teasers,they stop at nothing. And i personally hit(as in really painful hit not slap!!) at least 20 guys since i am here. Next time don't say a word,just hit them!!!!

Ahhh!! the satisfaction you find after hitting such men in public,to se their pain,humiliation and knowing fully well that they can't hit back in public,u gotta try it. :P

remsang said...

Hi,
So sad to hear that no single soul came to support your bold and commendable confrontation with the guy. He surely is lucky. However, you must have felt more humiliated if you have not done anything.
Dont worry, if theres a next time (hope it doesnt happen to you again), give him a slap and yell out (but be sure there are others around).
All corners of a city are not same so one cant say this or that city is safer.

Nancy Lalhriatpuii said...

@ all of the above

Ka thin hi a rim thei ltk a, engtin mah ka tih let loh chuan ka mu thei lo a ni mai.

This was just a recent incident happened to me. Kut a min khawih pawh hi ka tawng fo. Pakhat phei chuan ka kap a lo tram a, ka um na lamah bus in amah zawk a su trep.

Kan chenna hmun a him ta lo sawt ltk hi chu pawi ka ti. Thim hnuah phei chuan keimah phei chuan kut tum hum ka kal thin. Hnek ka inring khawp mai.

Unknown said...

if only he was there,around

Vikram said...

Nancy, this is a problem almost all women face in India. One of my friends from Andhra Pradesh told me that there is a womens group there, anytime a girl is 'eve-teased' and the police takes no action they do a protest and demonstration in front of the local police station.

The best way to combat this menace is to organize and demand action. If the residents of Dharavi can do it, victims of Bhopal can do it then so can you.

Btw, you should have kicked that guy in the nuts.